Friday, October 06, 2006

Rev Gals Friday Five: Civic Duties

http://revgalblogpals.blogspot.com/
Friday Five: Civic Duties

It's that season of the year when lawn signs are sprouting as surely as flowers in the spring; elections are just around the corner. And so today we bring you a Civic Duty Friday Five.

1) How old were you when you voted for the first time?
I think that I was 19, but I'm really getting old because that just doesn't make sense. I thought it was in a Presidential Election that I voted, but it must not have been......because it was Nov. 1983? (oops--it was 1982!) I sat in my boyfriend's dorm room and let him tell me who to vote for on my absentee ballot! ugh! (and that ballot had the little styrofoam punches that leaves hanging chads!)

2) What was the contest at the top of the ballot?
I can't remember (see above!) . It must have been a Senate race or a Governor's Race.... My mind is befuddled because I thought it was the 1984 presidential election. Which actually took place during my sophomore year and our college had a mock convention for the party out of power--which would have been the democratics. I got to be a part of the Idaho delegation and we initially nominated "Mr. Potato Head"--ok, maybe we just thought about that one....but the mock convention ultimately nominated Gary Hart!

3) Can you walk to your polling place?
yes...it's actually in our church and the parsonage is right next door! It's quite unnerving because several of our church members work the polls and I have to walk in and declare my party to get the right primary ballot. It's unnerving because I really feel like the "brite blue dot in a really red state" that I am!

4) Have you ever run for public office?
nope and don't plan on it (even in local politics anymore, it's just too nasty!)

5) Have you run for office in a club or school or on a board?
yes...I always seemed to get elected secretary of every group I belonged to in high school!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It couldn't have been a Senate race in an odd-numbered year, but there are several states (including the commonwealth of my birth) that have odd-year gubernatorial contests.
Thanks for playing!

Rachel Gonia said...

Ya know... I was wrong...it was 1982 (same year I graduated from high school!). .... I can't remember who was running... although I do remember meeting Mike DeWine at a county fair when he was first running for the US House seat in the part of the state where my family lived. not sure if John Glenn was in the Senate then or not...

Unknown said...

Where have you been? Been missing your postings and emails. But then I haven't been posting much either. what can I say.

I can say that I am here as part of the Happy Thanksgiving delurking week of the revgalblogpals to leave you a blogstone (0) and to encourage you to go and do likewise.

Happy Thanksgiving. Thanks for all you do in the fight against hunger!

LutheranChik said...

Happy Delurking Week! (o)