Monday, January 15, 2018

Loving Beyond Principle

I was going through some old files and found this-- written a few years ago now....I may have used it in a sermon... 



Filled with the many spirits that have gone before
and united with the One Spirit
whose Holy Nature
covers all in love

In life, they disagreed
they took votes
and squabbled over carpet colors
and building bonds

but now, united in God's Love
no room is left to disagree
for all the fissures and divisions
are filled in with love--
Love: the cement that binds
and fills the cracks

What if we lived that way here?
Whenever there is dissension or disagreement,
what if we chose love?
What if we chose the value of loving our neighbor
over the choice to see our outside differences?

What if love could fill all the cracks of our broken relationships?

What if we choose people over principles?

When I was young, I often said,
“It's the principle of it.”

Now, I want to say,
“It is for the sake of Christ
that I will love 'beyond principle'
I will love beyond reason.”

Holy God, Fill us
drench us in love

No comments: