Sunday, July 08, 2018

Suffering through Dialysis: A conversation in three scenes (Scene 3)

For my Doctor of Ministry class on "Suffering, Meaning, and Spirituality," I had to write a dialogue about suffering.  I decided to share that paper here because it became a meaningful way to process the past year.  Please take note, many things in the paper are real, but Pastor Bubba is NOT--rather, I chose to use Pastor Bubba as a "composite" of the awful things that we sometimes like to say to people. This is the third of three segments. 



Scene III
Time:  A year has passed since Scene I.
Setting: Patient Wife is now sitting in the waiting room of the Transplant Clinic where her husband has a follow up appointment after receiving a kidney transplant in the previous month.  
Characters:
Patient Wife                            Patient                         Pastor Bubba              
Viktor Frankl                          Lady Philosophy         Dorothee Soelle          Kathleen Norris

Patient Wife: This year has been a long journey. It has been a year since the surgery that put my husband into dialysis. Now he has a new kidney and is recovering well from the transplant!
Lady Philosophy: You see, I was right, this has been Providence’s plan. Your husband has received the kidney and been restored.  In the process, many others have been touched and uplifted by his witness.  God was at work in bringing him to this place. “For all things desire the good, and the good is the goal and end of every thing.”[1] It is through Providence that all things happen.
Patient Wife: Believing that it was God’s plan for my husband to have gone through all that he did in the last year does not encourage my belief in a good and just God. Surely, God is love and   God loves God’s creation.  I would rather err on the side of saying that God is not omnipotent than to ascribe this suffering to God. A God who is all-good and not all-powerful is more attractive to me.
Lady Philosophy:  But God is omnipotent!  Through suffering God’s providence provides both correction and self-knowledge.[2] When we rightly understand that God is the cause of the suffering and it is given for our betterment, then we can grow in our faith.
Patient Wife: I am sorry, but I just can’t agree with you on the nature of Providence.
Dorothy Soelle: Good you are to challenge that. You would be a masochist for believing that God would be the one who serves up such suffering which you should just accept. Surely, God has worked through the ministry that your husband has offered to others that are suffering like him. He has been in solidarity with them. He has offered love and peace as he suffered alongside them.
Patient Wife: His focus on the suffering of others has to some degree eased his own.
Viktor Frankl: It seems to me that your husband has survived and thrived this year because he found a purpose in his suffering. A person can lose everything but he will always have the freedom to choose his attitude.[3] He found a meaningful way to spend his time and he endured the suffering that was imposed on him.
Kathleen Norris: God provides “a way where there is no way; this is what God and only God can provide. This is salvation…. As we move from death to life we discover grace….”[4]
(Pastor Bubba enters the waiting room door and sits down with Patient Wife.)
Pastor Bubba: Well, I’m glad that I found you!  How is your husband doing?  I’m sure that he is praising God for the kidney!
Patient Wife: They are running a test on him right now. I am waiting with my friends here for his return.  I was just discussing the idea of Providence and why there is suffering in the world.
Pastor Bubba: I always say the rain falls on the just and the unjust alike. Everything happens for a reason.
Patient Wife: Do people really find comfort in the things you say?
Pastor Bubba: I don’t know. I haven’t ever really asked.  They usually ask me to pray.
Patient Wife: Pastor Bubba, I believe the calling of pastors is not to offer platitudes, but to sit with people in their suffering.  Perhaps even sitting in silence because none of our words can change their suffering. We can sit in silence as Job’s friends finally learn to do. Maybe then, our presence can offer the reassurance that God has not abandoned them.
Pastor Bubba: Is this what your friends here have taught you?
Patient Wife: I am not sure how much I have learned from each of them, but each has given voice to things I have heard at various times in my life.  I have experienced a lot of suffering personally and I have walked along side persons who have suffered.  Certainly, though, this past year has been the hardest of my life as well as my husband’s life.  Each one of my friends has offered something in trying to explain suffering that I would perhaps think worthy of understanding. Each has offered other statements with which I would disagree. In some ways they find small agreements, but in other ways they are vastly different.
            I believe that all of them have challenged me in some way to think more deeply about suffering.  Lady Philosophy, I still find myself unwilling to agree that God causes all suffering through Providence.  Yet, what I really appreciate is your strong belief that God is good.
Lady Philosophy: I am sorry that you do not agree with me, but truly God desires our very best and sometimes that involves suffering.
Patient Wife: Like Dorothee Soelle, I cannot square this idea of God causing suffering with my own beliefs. I find Soelle convincing when she argues that this makes for a sadistic god. Professor Soelle, I found your critique of classical theodicy to be very helpful. I also appreciate your analysis of Jesus in Gethsemane for it results in an understanding that we can be strengthened when we accept and embrace suffering in our lives.
Dorothee Soelle: “We can say that in every prayer an angel waits for us, since every prayer changes the one who prays, strengthens him….”[5]  Suffering forces us to pay attention.
Patient Wife: Yes, that is what happens to Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane and may happen to us when we are suffering. Kathleen Norris, I know you appreciate this analysis as well. Yet, some of what you tried to say about suffering was not helpful to me in the midst of the emergency a year ago. What you said seemed to trivialize the suffering that was occurring and minimize the pain of the moment.  As time has passed and I can reflect on what has transpired, I find more value in your thoughts.
Kathleen Norris: I am glad to offer my own personal experience because as I have written, sometimes what looks like a hopeless situation from the outside can be very different for those who are living through it.[6]
Patient Wife: Perhaps, Viktor Frankl, you have been the most influential to my personal thinking. As you discussed meaning in suffering, you emphasized that it is up to the individual to find a way to make meaning which gives one a purpose for living. In many practical ways, I have seen this lived out through my husband in the last year. Asking the question why was not a comfort. Finding a way to give purpose to each day, my husband was able to survive a very difficult year.
Viktor Frankl: I am glad you found it useful. This is one of the reasons that I was able to survived the horrors of my own life, so that I could write my book to help others with their personal suffering.
Patient Wife: Finally, James Cone is not here today, but his writing about encountering God speaks directly to my understanding of how we manage to work through pain and suffering.  Within my personal life, the suffering I experienced prior to this year, led me to read several books on grief and suffering.  These have been formative.  In some ways they touch on what you all have said, but it other ways, they go even deeper into this encounter with God and learning from our suffering.  Henri Nouwen’s book With Burning Hearts helped me to think about suffering in very practical terms.[7] Nouwen poses the question of how we respond to suffering as an either/or choice. We can chose either resentment (and bitterness) or gratitude.
Viktor Frankl: I agree with Nouwen that we have a choice.  Often those who chose resentment will not survive suffering and remain intact.
Patient Wife: Yes, Nouwen advocates for gratitude rather than resentment.  Through acceptance of the suffering, one must also acknowledge any part the individual played in causing the situation.
Dorothee Soelle: I certainly advocate for acceptance, but I am not sure about acknowledging having a part in the situation.
Patient Wife: I believe he means this more for the suffering that we bring upon ourselves, perhaps from engaging in sinful behavior.  I doubt he would say that we have a part in causing our own oppression which is the suffering you generally are discussing. 
Dorothee Soelle: Ok, I can see that.
Patient Wife: Gratitude comes after acceptance and includes asking the question, “What can I learn from this?”  For Nouwen, the reframing of how we look at suffering in our life, allows us to gain a modicum of peace and healing.
Kathleen Norris: I think perhaps that is the goal of my writing about suffering.
Patient Wife: Norris, I can see that. The other book which has formed my prior understanding of suffering is Naming the Silences by Stanley Hauerwas.[8]  I believe that Hauerwas offers a critique of a number of the issues around suffering and finally arrives at the conclusion that ultimately suffering is about God seeing our suffering.  In his book, Hauerwas takes a narrative approach as he discusses the plot from the novel, The Blood of the Lamb whose main character is Wanderhope. Hauerwas offers this in summarizing his arguments.
“Of course, we see Wanderhope ends up at the foot of the cross under a Jesus crying tears of cake frosting.  The suggestion is that Wanderhope is comforted by a God who suffers with us, who can share our agonies—who has, in short, become like us.  There is no hope for us if our only hope in the face of suffering is that ‘we can learn from it,’ or that we can use what we learn from the treatment of that suffering to overcome eventually what has caused it…, or that we can use suffering to organize our energies to mount effective protests against oppression. Rather, our only hope lies in whether we can place alongside the story of the pointless suffering of a child like Carol a story of suffering that helps us know we are not thereby abandoned.”[9]

The image that has stayed with me is that of Jesus crying with us as Christ suffers with us. I do not believe that Hauerwas is saying that we can’t learn from suffering or use it to overcome oppression. Rather, I believe he is saying that these cannot be our only hope. Our hope as Christians is centered in the cross.
Pastor Bubba: It is all about Jesus, isn’t it?
Patient Wife: I am not sure how much you have really gotten out of this conversation.
It is easy to stand outside of suffering and have theological ideas about what it means. I hope that the skill you learn as a pastor is to sit with those who are suffering and listen. Bring God’s presence to them and listen. Maybe you can say a prayer, too.



Bibliography

Boethius. The Consolation of Philosophy. Translated by David R. Slavitt. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2008.

Brennan, Frank. “Suffering Seeks a Voice.” In Perspectives on Human Suffering. Edited by Norelle Lickiss and Jeff Malpas. 261–71. Dordrecht: Springer, 2012.

Cassel, E. J. “The Nature of Suffering and the Goals of Medicine.” New England Journal of Medicine 306, no. 11 (March 1982). 639–45.

Chittister, Joan D. Scarred by Struggle, Transformed by Hope. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2003.

Cone, James H. The Spirituals & the Blues: an Interpretation. Mary Knoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1991.

Cooper-White, Pamela. “Suffering.” In The Wiley-Blackwell Companion to Practical Theology. Edited by Bonnie J. Miller-McLemore. 23–31. Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.

Coulehan, Jack. “To Suffer With: The Poetry of Compassion.” In Perspectives on Human Suffering. Edited by Norelle Lickiss and Jeff Malpas. 227–44. Dordrecht: Springer, 2012.

Frankl, Viktor E. Frankl. Man’s Search for Meaning. Boston: Beacon Press, 2006.

Gutiérrez, Gustavo.  On Job: God-Talk and the Suffering of the Innocent. Translated by Matthew J. O’Connell. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1987.

Hauerwas, Stanley. Naming the Silences: God, Medicine, and the Problem of Suffering. Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1990.

Newsom, Carol. The Book of Job: A Contest of Moral Imaginations. New York: Oxford University Press, 2003.

Norris, Kathleen.  Acedia & me: A Marriage, Monks, and A Writer’s Life. New York: Riverhead Books, 2008.

Nouwen, Henri J.M. With Burning Hearts: A Meditation on the Eucharistic Life. Mary Knoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1994.

Soelle, Dorothee. Suffering. Translated by Everett R. Kalin. Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1975.

Wiesel, Elie. The Trial of God.  New York: Schocken Books, 1979.

Wolterstorff, Nicholas. Lament for a Son. Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1987.



[1] Boethius, 97.
[2] Ibid., 137.
[3] Frankl, 66.
[4] Norris, 285.
[5] Soelle, 86.
[6] Norris, 225.
[7] Henri J.M. Nouwen, With Burning Hearts: A Meditation on the Eucharistic Life (Mary Knoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1994).
[8] Stanley Hauerwas, Naming the Silences: God, Medicine, and the Problem of Suffering (Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1990)
[9] Ibid., 34.

No comments: